Book Title: Beyond Pizzas & Pies, Grades 3-5, Second Edition: 10 Essential Strategies for Supporting Fraction Sense
Publisher: Math Solutions
Author: Julie McNamara
The focus of Beyond Pizzas & Pies, Second Edition, is on foundational understandings. The authors help teachers and students understand fractions as numbers, including the use of equivalency and thinking about benchmark numbers, so that when students start to compute with fractions (see the companion volume, Beyond Invert & Multiply), they have a solid foundation. You’ll find:
• Classroom Scenarios that address common challenges students (and teachers!) encounter as they acquire an understanding of fractions;
• What’s the Math? sections intended to clarify the mathematics;
• What’s the Research? insights that show why “that’s the way we’ve always done things” might not be the most successful approach;
• Classroom Activities with friendly, step-by-step instructions and video clips demonstrating how to teach the concepts;
• Reproducibles that are also available in a downloadable, printable format;
• Study Questions at the end of each chapter that encourage readers to set concrete goals for implementing what they’ve read; and
• Connections to the Common Core for those states implementing the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics.
This resource features 30 video clips filmed in actual classrooms. Clips range from 1 minute to 6 minutes in length with a total viewing time of approximately 70 minutes.